Broadway Brouhaha

This blog is maintained by Broadway Church. Writings about deep spiritual thoughts can be found and placed here.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

WHAT KIND OF A CHURCH IS BROADWAY? - My thoughts

I'm on a spiritual journey through life. My education at a small Baptist College in Missouri informs my journey, but doesn't completely define it. I guess you'd say I'm a recovering Baptist--and I believe that Broadway is a recovering Southern Baptist congregation. Definitely, Broadway is evolving into something more--not simply dropping Baptist from its name. Heaven forbid, Broadway Church ordains women and is gay-affirming. Thank God for evolution.

Actually, I do not believe that Heaven forbids our thinking for ourselves. And I believe that our faith is a vibrant and living faith that does indeed evolve as we continue on our spiritual paths. I find Broadway a challenging place because I must think for myself there. No dogma is dictated to me there. This can often be uncomfortable. It certainly is not an easy way out. However, I believe that my faith has become stronger since I have been a journeyer at Broadway.

Since my graduation from that small Missouri Baptist College, it seems I have often been a member of a church (granted they have always been Southern Baptist Churches) that have been disfellowshipped from the other churches in their areas: Northwest Baptist Church in Ardmore, OK and Second Baptist Church in Lubbock, TX. And now I have evolved from being a Baptist with Broadway Church which is no longer Broadway Baptist Church.

I no longer have the audacity to determine whom God calls to lead his flock. I no longer have the temerity to decide whom God counts among his children. (Excuse the mixed metaphor.)

I believe that everyone is on a spiritual journey and I hope that I accept all wherever they are on that journey.

David

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul Smith said...

Good blog David. And interesting to know more about you. Thanks for all you work on the blog and at church.

July 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger Max said...

I found acceptance of my beliefs and tolerance that was hard to come by at other churches. I also found my second love, the woman that I married there. I am happy at Broadway!

July 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks for leaving your comment, Max. Although, I haven't been quite so fortunate to find my life partner there!

July 21, 2008 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger David said...

It appears that there is a Broadway Church in Texas that also has some problems with the "G" word. Someone has spoken about it on his blog.

July 22, 2008 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger David said...

I have been made aware by a friend, Penny Culliton, that "(t)he Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Religious Archive Network just announced the completion of the first phase of Maranatha: Riversiders for LGBT Concerns. You can now see the online exhibition. Maranatha was formed in 1978 at the historic Riverside Church in New York City and was one of the first recognized LGBT ministries in a church in the U.S."

August 4, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home